USAID Banking/Finance Specialist Jobs – Power Africa Uganda Accelerator
Job Title: Banking/Finance Specialist
Organisation: Power Africa Uganda Accelerator
Funding Source: Unites States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party
USAID’s Power Africa Uganda Electricity Supply Accelerator (the Power Africa Uganda Accelerator) activity, implemented by Energy and Security Group LLC and funded by the United States Agency for International Development, seeks to rapidly increase the level of electricity access in the country through assistance for off-grid and on-grid energy solutions. The goal of the Power Africa Uganda Accelerator is to facilitate 1,000 Megawatts (MW) of additional generation capacity and one million new connections in Uganda by 2020. This target is aligned with the Government of Uganda’s (GOU) target of increasing generation capacity to 2,500 MW by 2020 and Power Africa’s overall target of adding 30,000 MW and 60 million new connections in sub-Saharan Africa by 2030.
Job Summary: The Banking/Finance Specialist will assist Power Africa in working jointly with developers/end users and banks/financial institutions in structuring debt financing packages, including appropriate credit enhancements as and when required, that will permit closing transactions for on-grid and off-grid power. This is a minimum one-year position (which may be extended conditional on funding).
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Support the Chief of Party (COP) and other key staff in discussions with private renewable energy developers, EPC firms, etc. that have generation projects for which financing is required and engage with banks/financial institutions to facilitate the same. Specifically, the Banking/Finance Specialist will:
- Assist private developers in structuring proposals to banks and financial institutions for possible debt financing of power generation, energy-related product supply, and other projects.
- Support banks/financial institutions as may be required in securing information required from developers and other prospective borrowers needed for the banks/financial institutions to make credit decisions.
- Assist in identifying and structuring appropriate credit enhancements to facilitate banks and financial institutions lending into the clean energy sector.
- Obtain and evaluate up-to-date financial information/projections on projects to determine financial and commercial viability.
- Accompany the COP and other staff on trips in Uganda or undertake trips independently to perform project work as needed. Trips are not expected to exceed five working days.
- Build and maintain relationships with financial stakeholders in the energy sector with a primary focus on banks and financial institutions active in the sector.
Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience: Minimum qualification requirements are outlined below.
- The applicant for the Banking/Finance Specialist position must hold a Bachelor of Arts Degree in finance, economics or a related field.
- Minimum three years’ experience in a banking or finance related position, preferable in structuring financing packages for borrowers; some experience/exposure to the renewable energy sector is desirable.
- Ability to complete financial analyses based on private company audited and/or management accounts.
- Understanding of financial modeling and spreadsheet analysis.
- Experience with full MS Office suite and, in particular, excel spreadsheet analysis.
Preferred Qualifications: These are summarized below.
- Experience working with (or in) banks/financial institutions, especially in a lending environment.
- Post graduate qualification e.g. in finance, business administration, or a related field.
- Experience working with renewable energy project developers, EPC firms or energy product suppliers.
How to Apply: All suitably and interested candidate should send their applications (only by e-mail) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should attach their cover letters and CVs including at least three professional references in one PDF.
NB: While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline: 19th November 2018 by 17:00hours (Kampala)