Project Officer – WASH (Hardware) NGO Job Opportunities – Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Job Title: Project Officer – WASH (Hardware)
Organisation: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager WASH
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading national humanitarian organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The ICRC is an International humanitarian institution which has a mandate to protect victims of international and armed conflicts i.e. the wounded, refugees, civilians, prisoners and other non-combatants.
Job Summary: The Project Officer – WASH (Hard Ware) will be responsible for the Management of all hardware Watsan components, programming, material, financial and human resources of the National Society within the project area.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall planning, coordination, implementation, evaluation and proposes recommendations on Watsan components;
- Prepares project work plans and budgets and ensures proper accountability of project funds and other resources;
- Prepares and submits timely and quality activity reports;
- Prepares quarterly and annual project progress reports, budgets in accordance with URCS guidelines and presents the same for incorporation into the overall organization plan and budget.
- Provides training, coaching and support supervision to project staff, project focal persons and project volunteers (CBDR volunteers and groups).
- Develops monitoring tools in liaison with the URCS M&E officer and ensures they are used and indicators therein captured.
- Liaises and maintains good coordination with Government and relevant stakeholders in consultation with respective Branch Managers /Project staff on WASH activities and policies;
- Assess the none-functional water facilities in the project area to establish magnitude of damage, identify the spare parts required and execute necessary remedial actions.
- Assess the water situation in the project areas and recommend appropriate technologies to deliver safe and adequate water in such areas.
- Prepare technical reports including technical drawings and designs for bid documents to facilitate contractual process by logistics department.
- Manages contracts whenever they are awarded, maintains link with contractors and closely supervises the contracted works to completion.
- Promotes construction and use of sanitary facilities within the project areas;
- Maintains good coordination and cooperation with other sector partners, district and sub county authorities.
- Carry out technical assessments during health emergencies and disasters to inform management on appropriate interventions and support the operations accordingly.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) Project Officer – WASH (Hard Ware) job opportunity should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or a related field from a reputable institution;
- Post Graduate or Pre-Graduate Diploma in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or a related field will be an added advantage;
- Sound training in water resources management will be an added advantage;
- Specialized training in improved hygiene promotion approaches i.e. Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST), Community led Total Sanitation (CLTS), Personal Hygiene and Sanitation Education (PHASE) for schools will be an added advantage.
- Three years of WASH experience in NGO setting;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts will be an added advantage
- Familiar with preparation of bid documents, contracts and contract management especially in the construction of water facilities and civil works.
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel and ability to run specific software (AutoCAD, ArchCAD and basic GIS)
- Very good knowledge of Emergency Response Protocols and sphere standards for service delivery.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement should send their filled application forms, download here and E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail via post to: The Secretary General, Uganda Red Cross Society, Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road, P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 28th May 2018 by 5:00pm