Project Coordinator Job Placement – Mengo Hospital
Job Title: Project Coordinator
Organization: Mengo Hospital
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
Mengo Hospital was founded in 1897 in Kampala, and is the oldest hospital in Uganda. It currently serves as an urban community hospital that provides modern medical care. Mengo Hospital provides comprehensive care including radiology, obstetrics, dentistry, orthopedics, and surgery. Additionally, Mengo Hospital provides critical training and education to health professionals through its various programs in midwifery and nursing, health sciences, and laboratory technology. Mengo Hospital also has a dedicated research and development team that works to find new solutions to health issues in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Project Coordinator will coordinate the various activities for this project aimed at the provision of comprehensive and inclusive Eye Health services to the people of Uganda
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining and monitoring project plans, project schedules, budgets and expenditures against set timelines.
- Ensuring that the project adheres to national and international policies and frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately the project
- Provide regular and timely updates to the Project Manager and other Project implementing teams.
- Work with the Hospital Finance Department to ensure timely financial reports are submitted in accordance with arrangements specified in the Project.
- Determining and manage project risks and changes
- Monitor project strategies and make appropriate changes
- Organizing, participating in and documenting the project monitoring, evaluation and review meetings.
- Act as a liaison between the Project implementing team and the donor country Office.
- Work closely with appropriate technical personnel to prepare a capacity development plan and tools for health workers involved in severe Eye Health management to strengthen the quality of care at Mengo Hospital and referrals from communities.
- Provide technical inputs to the design of advocacy materials and technical briefs
- At all times, work in line with the agreed Hospital communications matrix, to ensure effective communications to all project stakeholders
- Work with the project manager to prepare and implement stakeholder engagements plan in order to create a close working relationship with the Ministry of health, Regulatory Authorities and other relevant organizations.
- Coordinate the project procurement process as per the Hospital set procedures
- Assign project relevant tasks to teams and assist with schedule tracking
- Any other task assigned to him/her by the Project Manager
- Dedicated focal person for upcoming requests within the framework of the cooperation with Saarland University
- Organizes travel arrangements for project staff e.g. visa, flight, health- and liability insurance within the agreement with Saarland University
- Supports all logistics for visiting German doctors (hotel/accommodation, transport, meetings, dinner side events)
Technical performance management and Quality Assurance
- Work closely with the M&E team to prepare an M&E plan and work with Project Manager to see that implementation occurs on time and that the information feeds into internal and external learning cycles.
- Monitor the performance of the project and see that the work is of high technical quality.
- Ensure that the project activities strictly adhere to the national and international policies.
Communications and Documentation
- Work in line with the agreed multi-country project communications channels to ensure effective communications and decision making between the Hospital and the CBM country office team.
- Provide regular and timely updates to the Project Manager and the Technical Implementing team.
- Ensure that a project communications strategy is developed and implemented in line with the Hospital and set procedures. This includes the production of case studies, reviews of lessons learned, general documentation for internal and external dissemination, and project reviewed publications.
- Lead on the technical writing of dissemination documents to allow wider sharing of Eye health experiences, lessons, and successes.
- Lead the development of any additional project documentation that may be requested by the project team.
- Act as dedicated focal person for fundraising/marketing departments of CBM (and other stakeholders) – and ensure the collection/provision of compelling Human Interest Stories (HIS)/staff portraits and other project information plus related high-quality pictures/video in full compliance with CBM´s Code of Conduct/Child Protection Policy and within agreed timelines.
- Represent Mengo Hospital Eye Department at appropriate programmatic, coordination, and partner meetings.
- Liaise as needed with the Project partners to ensure smooth project implementation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Master’s degree in business administration or related field of study
- Five years’ experience in a program management position preferably with the implementation of donor grant contracts
- Experience in results-based management, project monitoring, and reporting
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Experience in managing health-related projects
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- A proactive and enthusiastic approach, with a willingness to participate in field activities/surveys and travel to remote areas within the catchment area
- Proficient in MS office packages
- Attentive to detail with high levels of accuracy
- Excellent technical and report writing
- Solid organizational skills, including multi-tasking and time management
- Good understanding of/proven experience in fundraising communication/ marketing (for a western audience/NGO)
- Proven experience in writing compelling Human Interest Stories (HIS) and project updates for donors (medical and non-medical audience)
- Advanced knowledge of photography/respective software is a plus
- A good understanding of Eye Health.
- A good understanding of health systems strengthening approaches.
- Experience in managing others, including training and mentoring.
- Data management and analysis skills including proficiency in statistical analysis software such as word processing, spreadsheet (preferably Microsoft Access and Excel), and presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint) as well as other database and statistical applications (SPSS, SAS, STATA
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates with relevant qualifications and experience should submit first fill the form below, then send application letters, detailed Curriculum vitae (CV), and copies of academic transcripts, certificates, and valid contacts (email and telephone) addresses of three (3) Professional referees, should be addressed to; The Medical Director, Mengo Hospital, P.O. Box 7161, Kampala.
Deadline: 2nd February 2019