Market Development Officer NGO Jobs – GOAL International
Job Title: Market Development Officer
Organisation: GOAL International
Duty Station: Abim, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager
GOAL International is an international non-profit organization that was founded in 1977 and works to promote the realization of the fundamental rights of the poor, the vulnerable, and those affected by humanitarian crisis. GOAL currently works in 16 countries, with our head office in Dublin, Ireland.
GOAL leads a Consortium with Mercy Corps, VSO and Restless Development to implement the Driving Youth-led New Agribusiness and Microenterprise (DYNAMIC) program in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation. DYNAMIC is a five-year program (2015-2020) that aims to increase the employment, self-employment, income and resilience of youth aged 15-24 by promoting effective and efficient agricultural market systems for and with youth.
Job Summary: The Market Development Officer will implement all aspects of the market systems development component of the district. She/he will be required to apply a wide variety of market development tools and approaches in order to catalyze innovative services and facilitate linkages between market actors in the assigned programme area. The Market Development Officer will work directly with the Market Development and Financial Services Advisors who, in collaboration with the Program Managers will determine technical strategy and work objectives for the Market Development Officers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning, developing and implementing market development activities
- With support from the Programme Manager and sector-focused Technical Specialists, participate in assessments in the target geographic areas to assess current situation, economic opportunities and resources, needs and potential programs as well as obstacles that could be mitigated through DYNAMIC’s engagement with public and private sector actors. Such assessments shall include but are not limited to rapid market assessments, a local competitiveness assessment, sector selection, value chain analysis and development, market development approaches and business support capacity needs to the stakeholders of the programme including relevant government agencies and other key institutions
- Introduce the program to relevant stakeholders including local business owners, local representatives and community members. Foster ongoing positive cooperation with these stakeholders and forge links between market actors, producers, end users, etc.
- In coordination with the Technical Specialists and local partners, plan, implement and monitor market system development activities for youth job creation. This will include exploring partnerships with private sector actors to design, test, and deliver a wide range of appropriate services that increase youth employment and self-employment within the agricultural market system.
- Assist in developing capacity building materials for business, technical and financial capacities as well as participate in capacity building sessions.
- Help execute related field activities to ensure that the programme results are achieved to the highest standard, and that project deliverables are completed as planned.
- Mobilize targeted youth to fully participate in the programme for sustainability.
- Identify value-addition opportunities that strengthen economic opportunities, especially for young women and rural youth, in the livestock and agriculture sectors as identified by local and national government as well as independent market studies and needs assessments.
- Establish and maintain good coordination and working relationships with sub-county and district leaders and local government departments, representing GOAL in coordination meetings and soliciting their participation in all activities where appropriate and as directed by the line manager.
- Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with relevant stakeholders such as local government departments, NGO’s and local authorities, as appropriate and advised by the line manager.
- Participate in shared Learning Dialogue series that are thematically focused
- Participate in the planning of learning events, exhibits, workshops that bring private and public sector entities together to collectively review and discuss technology developments and innovation and to examine private sector approaches to household and community challenges that can be incubated through public sector incentives.
Documentation, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Work closely with the monitoring and evaluation staff to capture the required data for measuring output and impact of the programme; and to ensure accurate and timely flow of information from the field for entry in the database and for preparation of communication materials
- Prepare and submit timely weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports that will be indicative of program progress during implementation. Respond to queries if and when necessary.
- Maintain proper filling system in regard to market development activities of the program
- Where needed, support external evaluations by MasterCard’s research partner ODI.
Organizational Learning: As part of GOAL Uganda’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit the DYNAMIC programme as well as themselves.
Representation and Coordination
- The MDO is expected to be the focal person for all coordination, partnership and related activities with local level private sector services providers, and related stakeholders.
- Liaise with local government officials, local NGOs and civil society organizations, and other notables to ensure support for and acceptance of DYNAMIC’s market based programs.
- Maintain close working relationships with development organizations, and local partners, including representing DYNAMIC at local coordination meetings as assigned.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to GOAL Uganda and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- DYNAMIC team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to direct programme participants, engaging them as equal partners in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of our field activities.
- Any other related duties assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the GOAL International Market Development Officer job placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in business, economic development or other relevant field
- Background in business, with a minimum of 3 years practical experience in the private sector
- Experience with market facilitation, supporting systemic change and promoting supporting services indirectly, is preferred Knowledge and experience in business financing for SME’s
- Highly motivated and motivating individual who can lead SME’s from both the front and behind (depending on the situation)
- Knowledge of the agricultural sectors highly desirable
- Some practical experience in working with both very small, small and medium sized companies in a development setting,
- Strong writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills.
- Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications which must include at least 4 reference contacts (2 professional, 2 character references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer), and daytime contact number to; The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda on the email: firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES, indicate the job title in the subject line.
Deadline: 21st November 2018