Gender Coordinator UN Careers – United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job Title: Gender Coordinator
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Gender Coordinator will support the design and implementation of a coherent and systematic approach to gender mainstreaming in Country Office programmes; act as a programme policy advisor in planning and monitoring of programme activities; provide support in overall coordination of the UNDP Gender Focal Team and is responsible for coordination of day-to-day substantial tasks assigned within UNDP Gender Equality Strategy and in line with organization objectives. The Gender Coordinator works in close coordination with UNDP Programme and Operations’ teams, UNDP Regional Offices and HQs Gender Teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government and national entities, as well as with development partners, civil society and all partners in ensuring successful implementation of UNDP corporate and country specific gender strategies and initiatives
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic advice, Technical guidance and substantive leadership
- Lead and coordinate the implementation of the UNDP Country Office strategic plan on gender and the UNDP global gender strategy
- Ensure the CO gold certified Gender Equality Seal status monitored, and mandatory requirements are sustained.
- Promote the continues mainstreaming of Gender Equality Seal Certification programme both in the Private sector and the Public Institutions; closely working with national partners and UN-agencies
- Assess programme impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results. Develop innovative approaches to enhance performance.
- Contribute to the preparation and finalization of UNDPs annual reports on the implementation of the gender equality strategy.
- Lead and/or undertake research, compilation, analysis and evaluation of gender dimensions of social economic and humanitarian issues and advise senior management, program staff and partners on the design and development of policy and program interventions.
- Undertake analysis of gender policy and programme documents including country office reports to institutionalize gender development effectiveness and mainstreaming.
- Develop performance indicators and guidelines for effective compliance with the Strategic Plan and score card.
- Actively participate in the UN-Gender and Human Rights Advisory group; Gender Development Partners Group and other such Forum.
Project Design, Management and Implementation:
- Plan, monitor, manage and provide oversight to the different steps and stages of project execution and timely actions to ensure results are achieved.
- Establish the work plan, activities, targets, budget, standards for measuring progress and results and determine the processes, tools and methodologies to be used to ensure effective and efficient project implementation and operations and achievement of results.
- Ensure the ROAR segment for gender results are effectively populated;
- Plan and oversee the implementation of mid-term and other required project evaluation to address any design or implementation issues.
- Facilitate the preparation for Project Committees and Project Management Team Meetings and other designated forums and follow up on all decisions taken to ensure implementation and/or timely action.
- Submit required and other project reports (progress, financial, procurement, etc.) for management information, communication, oversight and action.
- Support Projects Coordinators in formulation, implementation and evaluation activities from substantive pint of view on issues related to gender mainstreaming and women empowerment;
- Closely working with Programme Team Leaders, Operations Unit Heads as well as MSU, to monitor regularly the UNDP Programmes/Projects work plans, reports, procedures and guidelines on gender-related issues;
Knowledge and capacity building
- Develop and widely disseminate knowledge products to strengthen organizational and governmental capacity on gender issues and to establish conceptual clarity on gender mainstreaming and research on emerging gender issues
- Introduce innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promote its application and mainstreaming across UNDP country office.
- Access organizational worldwide and regional knowledge, best practices and lessons learned, distil best practices and ensure its dissemination for organizational and stakeholders learning and sharing.
- Develop a strategic plan for learning and development and lead the implementation of training activities on gender mainstreaming techniques. Organize trainings for operations and program staff as well as for implementing partners as appropriate.
- Identify areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- Track and monitor progress on gender mainstreaming across all focus areas of the UNDP country programme
- Develop methodologies and guidelines for promoting effective gender mainstreaming across all UNDP intervention areas.
- Document lessons learned from past gender projects to accelerate the achievement of gender results at the regional level.
Strategic partnerships and Resource Mobilisation
- Build new partnerships with stakeholders identified by project board committees
- Maintain dialogue with partners and stakeholders to advocate, promote and advance gender issues, priorities, interests and competencies.
- Coordinate and collaborate with clients, partners and stakeholders to link and harmonize approaches and to promote common interests and achievement of results.
- Represent UNDP Uganda Country office in national, regional and global fora to promote, advocate and speak for the organizational on strategic and common issues
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Work closely with the relevant government and non-government parties in charge of the national gender equity policy;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations UNDP Gender Coordinator job placement should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Gender Studies and/ or development related studies.
- At least seven to ten years of relevant working experience in managing/coordinating projects and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, of which at least 3 years of experience should be with significant focus on gender empowerment and gender equality advisory services and/ or in gender programming/ gender project management;
- Strong knowledge of the issues in the relevant component;
- Be familiar with development methodologies, including participatory approaches to strategic planning, strategic management and the management of institutional change in developing countries;
- Experience of work with the international organizations, high-level government officials representing central governmental bodies and local administrations;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
- Strong IT skills, Atlas
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 15th August 2018