Construction Supervisor NGO Job Careers – Save the Children International
Job Title: Construction Supervisor
Organisation: Save the Children International
Duty Station: Uganda
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children and has program presence in over 120 countries in the world and has been implementing programs for over 90 years. Save the Children envisions a Uganda in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We strive to create impact for children by delivering our Programmes through partnerships, by being innovative, by acting as the voice for and of children, and by achieving results at scale. In Uganda, we implement programmes in six thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Livelihoods & Food Security, Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS in development and emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 270 persons. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. In 2014, we reached over 143 million children through our work around 52m directly and 91 million indirectly around the world.
Job Summary: The Construction Supervisor provides technical support to the programmes through the provision of technical guidelines, advice and coordination related to all construction projects undertaken by the organisation, ensuring that construction projects are carried out in line with policies, procedures and guidelines as well as the standard guidelines and specificationsprovided by the Ministry of Education and Sport in Uganda for construction of school facilities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Save the Children Construction Supervisor job placement should hold an Ordinary Diploma in Civil Engineering or Architecture. Additional Qualifications will be of added advantage.
- At least three years’ experience as Civil Engineer in construction companies / or construction projects in emergency situations or conflict/post conflict situations in a reputable organization, preferably an international NGO.
- Strategic and long term planning skills necessary for planning and implementing technical processes and construction managementprocedures.
- Demonstrated ability to establish good working relations between the program staff and all other players involved in construction projects he supports.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding (or ability to do so) of SC, donor, and national legal requirements for construction, logistics functions, including applicable laws and NGO regulations.
- Good understanding and experience with supervision, monitoring and verification of construction site management, including security and networking.
- Strong ethical principles, 100 % transparency and leadership qualities.
- Basic knowledge of Procurement Procedures and Regulations in an NGO setting.
- Prior exposure and experience working with local partners and District Local Government in Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, HIV/AIDS or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a copy of their updated CVs with cover letters (attached as one document) indicating three referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors via E-mail only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Testimonials/certificates should not be attached to applications.
- Hand delivered applications will not be accepted and are therefore not considered during the shortlisting process.
Deadline: 26th May 2017 by Midnight