Background of St. Lawrence University Uganda SLAU
Kindly visit Admissions for universities in Uganda for more details on St. Lawrence University Uganda Admissions / intakes
Name and Location of the University
St. Lawrence University occupies the premise of one of the five St. Lawrence Schools and College, Kabaka’s Lake Campus. It is on Kibuga Block 8/1126 and 8/1127, in Mengo, Rubaga Division, Kampala City. St. Lawrence University was launched by the President of the Republic of Uganda. His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, on 14th October, 2006.
Proprietor of the University
The Proprietor of the University is Professor Lawrence Mukiibi. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree and Diploma in Education in 1976 from Makerere University. From 1982 to 1989, he was the Headmaster of Afraha Secondary School in Kenya. From 1989 to 1993, he was the Headmaster of Kampala Parents’ School and from 1994 to 2001, he was the proprietor and Headmaster of three St. Lawrence Citizen High Schools. He is now the Principal and Proprietor of seven St. Lawrence Schools and Colleges and one primary school
Prof. Mukiibi is the Vice- Chairman of private schools in Uganda. He is the president of the Uganda Convertion of the Principals affiliated to the International Confederation of Principals in UK. On 19th April 2006, he won the Gold medal form the Societe Geographie in Paris, France and on Heros Day (9th June, 2006) he was awarded 1st prize in Education Sector during the Presidential Transformers Awards. Prof. Mukiibi is the Chairman Board of Trustees and on 9th October 2013 he was awarded a medal for his contribution to private education in Uganda.
Uniqueness of the University
St. Lawrence University is unique because it emphasizes entrepreneurship development, competence in research and in ICT and self-empowerment and leadership. Four courses capturing these components are compulsory in all programmes to produce graduates who are self-reliant, versatile, who will light their own candles and thus answer the usually disturbing question of ” after University what next?”
Excellence in teaching, learning, research and community service which is underpinned with innovation, entrepreneurship, empowerment and competence in computer and research that willenable citizens to create jobs and will go a long way in solving some of the problems of this millennium.
The mission of the St. Lawrence University is to produce citizens who are educated morally and spiritually upright and socially responsive, who are decisive, determined, devoted, and who will be empowered and use the entrepreneurship, research and computer skills acquired to be innovative, job creators and solvers of problems and who are prized and appreciated employees.
Objectives of the University
(1) To offer education that is underpinned with empowerment, entrepreneurship, computer and research skills which will enable the graduates to be job creators.
(2) To train and produce competent researchers whose investigations will solve some of the problems of this millennium.
(3) To participate in community outreaches and forge strong linkages with the communities and the private sector.
(4) To increase student enrollment and new programmes that meet the needs of the society.
(5) Undertake, achieve and maintain high caliber and motivated staff.
(6) To undertake and expand the University infrastructure.
(7) To improve finance base through continuous mobilization of funds to increase access university education.