18 No Experience UN Data Collection Jobs – Forestry Inventory Data Enumerators – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Job Title: Forestry Inventory Data Enumerators (18 No Experience Jobs)
Organization: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is implementing a project – Sawlog Production Grant Scheme (SPGS) – Phase III with a mandate to support the private sector (technically and financially) to develop commercial tree plantations. Under the project outcome 3: Downstream industrialization of processing and utilization of forest products, SPGS is responsible for ensuring downstream processing and utilization efficiency of the forest resources (Timber, poles, biomass) in the country. To that effect, as a prerequisite, SPGS project would like to conduct a wood resource assessment exercise across the country (in all 8 SPGS clusters).
Job Summary: The Forest Inventory Data Enumerator will support forest resource estimation through forest inventory data collection across all the 8 SPGS clusters in the country.
Specifically, the Forest Inventory Data Enumerators will be responsible for:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Measure and record tree height (m); for all trees in established sample plots in a cluster
- Measure and record the diameter at breast height (cm); for all trees in established sample plots in a cluster
- Record log quality and diameter classes in a cluster
- Collect any other non-spatial information as required by Strategic Planning Expert
- Enter the captured data in the forest inventory database
- Carry out any other tasks that the Strategic Planning Expert specifies
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the UN Forest Inventory Data Enumerator jobs should preferably be final year students pursuing; Bachelor of Social and Entrepreneurial Forestry (Majoring in Commercial Forestry) or Diploma in Forestry
- Excellent soft skills: Paying attention to detail, communication, team work, planning and coordinating
- Knowledge of IT tools: including MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point
- Language: Fluent in written and spoken English
- Professional Experience Requirements:
- Knowledge and practical experience in forest mensuration and inventory
- Knowledge in usage of forest inventory tools (e.g. Suunto Hypsometer, Calipers, and diameter tapes)
Note: Preference is for final year forestry students.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who meet the requirements above are requested to submit applications together with detailed curriculum vitae and copies of verified partial academic transcript addressed to: The Representative, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Uganda, Plot 88, Buganda Road not later than 2.00 pm on the closing date of application. Applications can also be delivered to; FAO-SPGS project office at Plot 92, Bugolobi.
Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. FAO does not discriminate against any race, gender or disability.
Deadline: 10th August 2018
Note: FAO does not charge applicants any fees at any stage in the recruitment process.